Irish Hills Background

Voting

November 05, 2010

Halloween Traditions

Hallowe'en is a long standing tradition.  

Did you know ...

This day was adopted from the Irish and the Scottish festival called the Samhain.  The Old Celtics believed that on this day "summers end" was when good and bad spirits emerged upon the land from the Otherworld.  Family ancestors were honoured and invited home and the harmful spirits were scared away.  In Scotland, to ward off harmful spirits, young men wore costumes of white and a veiled or darkened mask to appear more harmful.  It was believed that the carving of turnips was to capture the souls in purgatory. They were hallowed out, a face carved in them, then placed in the window with a candle to further ward of evil spirits.  Guising dates back as far as the Middle Ages where one dressed up and begged door-to-door for food.

Let me simply say...
Thank you for letting us use it too!  I LOVE IT!

When I was a child we used to carve pumpkins and line them along the driveway for everyone to see.  Bake cookies, cup cakes and make popcorn balls.  Then of course all the kids in the neighborhood would band together and go trick-or-treating.  As we got older we were more into the party theme of things.  And what was a party without all the costumes and games to go with it!

I can remember there always being lights on at every house.  Everyone participated somehow, someway.  Even if it was nothing more than to see the scariest costumes of all time come to their door!

Since then I married, had children of my own.  I have 2 sons.  My oldest is 23 and my youngest is 8 yrs old now.   Now, for the past few years I have been able to double the experience with my youngest son and oldest granddaughter.

It was always a cherished time of my life to participate in Halloween so I wanted to ensure that my children, as they grew up through the years, would know the same fun-filled tradition and all the excitement that the season holds.

When my oldest was born, I promised myself I would ALWAYS take the time to remember what it was like to be "a kid".  And to see the world through his eyes.  It has been more than a life time of adventures let me tell ya! :D

Seeing each and every experience with such awe and excitement has made me cherish each and every tradition that has come to pass by my family.  The adventures have made me remember just how brightly the jack o'lanters burned.  How exciting it was to get ready with the make-up and artistic features to go with your costume.  And how exhilerating it was to go door-to-door and say TRICK OR TREAT!  And OHHH how sweet the reward was for all the hard work. lol

One of the greatest joys is not only seeing this experience through my youngest son and granddaughters eyes, but seeing it through my oldest sons eyes as "DAD" now too.  To see him ensure that these traditions keep going and to tackle them with the same excitement he did when he was little.......... reminds me........... how lucky I really am to have such a wonderful TRADITION to pass on!

Now with this past Halloween, I'm having to "rethink" or "revamp" this long held tradition.  I can't say that I am at all pleased with the way this tradition has morphed itself by the hands of others.

This past Halloween was one of sorrow for my kids and grandkids.  There was NO Halloween on Halloween.  It was "decided" by "others" whom I shall keep nameless to hold it on ANOTHER DAY.. blink blink WHAT! Another day?!  WHY you ask?

Because they don't participate in outside functions on Sunday.  Alright you can see it as well as I can.  It's a religious thing.  Now I have no objection to religion.  You can believe whatever you want.. I believe in traditions and family values.

Now my youngest is home-schooled by me and I suppose that puts us out of the loop.  However, after talking to a couple of news hounds (aka my Mom and Grandmother) there was no indication this was going to happen.  There was no post in the newspaper, there was no flyer in the post office or the grocery store.  There wasn't even a vote. 

I know I *&@$% wasn't asked if we could just "skip" this event because it fell on a Sunday.  I *&@$% didn't get the MEMO EITHER! 

So now, I have a grandson that will be 6 months soon.  Does this mean he will never know this long held tradition?  Does this mean I should have to sacrifice my beliefs, my family traditions because "others" choose NOT to participate???!!!  If you don't want to participate, DON'T turn on your light.  But who died and gave "them" the power and permission to change MY tradition!

This makes me irritated!  And VERY ANGRY! To believe that one can make this choice and it effect the whole community.  And the impact was huge.  We went to 7-8 neighborhoods and I could count the lights on for trick-or-treaters (with my sons help) on 3 hands!  And yes I want everyone to know how disappointed my son was.

Is this a dying tradition?  Is it going to be lost to new comers?  Is it going to be yet ONE MORE THING of the past?  :(

I call BS!  Anyone else agree with me?  Or, am I alone on this.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland!
    I completely agree with you that Halloween is a dying tradition. It is quite sad to see that my youngest will probably never get to see the Halloween I or his dad grew up with. I read an article before Halloween that stated for all parents to find a community trunk or treat, church or school to do your Halloween activity's as house to house is dying and many parents consider it "unsafe" and to much of a hassle to walk. Unsafe? WHAT neighborhoods are they going too? Too much to walk? It's for the kids and with the obesity rates are you kidding me?! It's absolutely absurd this is what Halloween has come too....

    Angie
    http://create-it-fab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is so full of choices! And for some, I believe it is easier to pass the buck or go with the flow. Right or wrong, is immaterial. It's just easier!

    I don't believe that traditions were merely "SOMETHING TO DO". There is always something to be gained (or learned) from a tradition. And at the very least, it ALWAYS serves to bring the family closer. Because it requires TIME. One of the most precious commodities we have and no one wants to give it up for the greater good of ANYTHING or ANYONE. Not even family. (very sad actually)

    More and more I see that it's expected that "someone else" will care enough to take the responsibility to do the leg work for them. To make sure their kids are safe, cared for or in some sense of the word.. unjaded. In short, pick up their slack!

    Take the time! Take the time to rekindle the lost traditions. Reinvent them if you have to! Reinstill those morals and values. The investment will be well rewarded.

    So, here is where I call BS! (again)

    Since this last Halloween was CANCELLED due to RELIGIOUS reasons...I feel...disoriented.

    Hallowe'en is considered to be the "summers end". Where the FAMILIES banded together to gather the bounties of the summer and store them for winter.. as a COMMUNITY.. as a FAMILY. It was the end of the light and the beginning of the dark. Thus the guising came to pass, to ward off evil spirits.

    Hallowe'en is a prelude to All Saints Day (and yes I'm mixing religions, but only because I can) does this mean that we should not have this Day?? How 'bout we CANCEL THIS ONE?

    It is not the right of others to pick and choose..

    I'm sorry for your experience..
    It should have been filled with that warm fuzzy feeling of family and all the excitement that the occassion holds.

    I fear that in the end... this is merely a sign of the times to come. :(

    I am going to try my best to make next years experience a more memorable one... instead of remembering it as the Hallowe'en that wasn't!

    ReplyDelete